Wednesday 23 December 2009

An agoraphobic client

I got called out to a collapsed dog one Sunday afternoon, its back end had gone and wasn't able to stand. The client and patient were in her lounge beside the fire as was a cold winters day. As I was examining Bobby, the client was babbling on and chain smoking. I discussed my findings and the options with the client and gave Bobby some treatment. We then started chatting, when all of a sudden the client told me she was agoraphobic and hadn't left the house in a few months. I felt a little shocked and backed into a corner. The first thing I said to try to reassure her was 'you are not missing much, its cold and raining outside!!' Needless to say the conversation was cut short and I left soon after with Bobby starting to feel a little better already!!

No comments:

Post a Comment