Sunday 20 December 2009

Becoming a vet

Apparently I have wanted to be a vet since I was little. I am not so sure. I think I may have mentioned it when I was younger and my mum then pushed me into it. It is not bad to have a parent backing you, but it was more than that, I was and am living her dream. She always wanted to be a vet but was 'never clever enough'.

I did well in my GCSE's, got relatively good A-levels despite a severe illness and then went through 5 years of vet school at the RVC. I never found vet school very easy. I am more practical than good at exams. I have always struggled with learning, memorising etc. If I don't understand something I don't remember it. I know now it is because I am dyslexic. I didn't get diagnosed until I was in my last year of vet school!
Upon qualifying I immediately started working at a mixed practice treating all kinds of animals; mainly dogs, cats, rabbits and horses, some cows, some sheep, the odd bearded dragon and an occasional llama (that is another story!!) I am still with the same practice, how long for I do not know however. I work very long hours, weekends and nights.

This blog is to document my clife as a vet, but also a place to remember all of the strange occurrences and encounters with patients and clients!

1 comment:

  1. I love your new blog. I have always loved being around animals, and I look forward your adventures.

    ReplyDelete