Sunday 20 December 2009

A boxing day llama

Boxing day 0f 2008 was my turn to be on duty. I had been called in at 8.30am and had seen a couple of emergencies and removed a foreign body form a dogs intestine. By lunch time I was tired, had enough and wanting a turkey sandwich! The phone rang and I answered. It was a distress client asking if we treat llamas. I stupidly said yes! Why oh why did I not say No! The client had rung around 7 other vets and they had all turned her down. I am too kind, I asked her what the problem was. She told me her two llama's had been attacked by a dog and were in a bad way. I told I would come out but it would cost quite a bit. Money apparently was not a problem so I rushed out.

I got there to find two llama's running around a large field with three men frantically trying to catch them! Turns out the ladies daughter had bought them for her from a farmer as a Christmas day present! The lady had let her two greyhounds out to go the toilet Boxing day morning and they had attacked the llama's, chasing them around the field. One of the llamas was OK, but shook up. The other had a torn scrotum, anus and had one of its testicles hanging out, poor thing! My main problem was the llamas were wild, no one had handled them at the previous farm and they were very scared! Catching the injured llama involved lots of running around, falling over and cornering. Eventually we caught him and I gave him some sedation, local anaesthetic and stitched him back together. It took about an hour and was very tricky. The whole time, no one had wished me merry Christmas, no one had offered me a cup of tea or a mince pie. I am sure people think vets don't celebrate Christmas! I shall write about a Christmas day incident one day soon!

After finishing stitching the llama up, I chatted to the lady for a bit and asked her why she had got the llamas. She said she had mentioned once in an off hand way that she would love to have llamas one day. Her daughter was stuck for Christmas present ideas and saw an advert for the two llamas and thought it would be a great idea! The lady said she wasn't serious, and didn't think she would ever really have them, just a dream! Be careful what you wish for!

No comments:

Post a Comment