Monday 21 December 2009

Apparently it is rude to bleed on a patient

I got called into an emergency on a Saturday afternoon for a hamster which had a 'poorly eye'!  Now it is not cheap to call the vet in on a Saturday afternoon, believe me, I would think twice if I wasn't a vet unless it was a real emergency!  Anyway, I rush into work for this hamster and find out that it is not used to being handled.  Now how do you pick up a hamster that has never been picked up?  The hamster is running around the consulting room table, I am putting my hands at the edges to stop it jumping off, when it sinks its teeth into my finger!  I hold my breath, count to 10 and try not to swear!  I put a bit of pressure on my finger and continue to try to examine the hamster.  The next thing I know the clients start mumbling to each other and looking horrified..... I look down and I have bled on their hamster!  Apparently it is rude to bleed on a hamster, even though the little git bit me!  I had to excuse myself and get myself cleaned up and get a plaster!

The hamster went home with some eye drops.  I on the other hand had a bloody sore finger for the next couple of days!

1 comment:

  1. how rude of those people to be upset, the little cardboard muncher bit u, lol, i hope your finger feels better, and from all of the hamsters out there, i apologize for that one
    ICLW hugs!

    ReplyDelete